Givin’ it Laldie are looking for a Treasurer for our Board of Trustees.
Givin’ it Laldie is a community music charity for people living and working in the Gorbals, Glasgow. We run free, uplifting singing and instrument sessions to bring people together to make friends, learn something new and look after their health and wellbeing. Everyone is welcome regardless of background or ability and no previous music experience is required.
We are looking for a Treasurer for our Board of Trustees; a group of 8 – 12 people who meet 8 times a year to make decisions on how to best run the charity.
The Board is composed of unpaid volunteers who are elected yearly at the AGM or co-opted by the Board. Together we build a plan, deliver on the strategic goals of Givin’ it Laldie and share in the satisfaction of seeing the end results. The time commitment is around 8 Board meetings per year plus sitting on one of the sub groups who meet between 2 – 3 times a year.
At Givin’ it Laldie we work with Brett Nicholls Associates who support us with our management accounts, budgets and Independent Examinations. Therefore, the Treasurer is responsible for the following:
- Overseeing financial aspects of the charity, on behalf of the Board of Trustees, to ensure its short and long-term viability.
- Assisting the Chair, Secretary and Manager to ensure the Board of Trustees fulfils its duties and responsibilities for the proper financial governance of the charity.
- Informing Trustees of their financial duties and the financial implications/operational risks arising from board decisions.
- Ensuring that funding received for specific purposes is separately accounted for and spent for the purposes for which it was given.
- Ensuring that the charity operates within the financial guidelines set out in current legislation, by the Charity Commission, in the charity’s Constitution.
- Ensuring that the charity has adequate financial procedures and controls and that these are monitored and reviewed regularly.
- Scrutinising the proposed Annual Budget and Management Accounts and advising and guide the Board accordingly.
- Regularly evaluating the charity’s cash flow position, and to informing the board of any concerns.
- Liaising with the Manager and Independent Examiner regarding the Annual Accounts and formally present them to the Annual General Meeting.
More generally as a Board member/Trustee you will:
- Have enthusiasm for the power of music.
- Have an interest in the Gorbals.
- Help make decisions relating to HR, funding, promoting the charity and more.
- Use your networks and contacts to further the work of Givin’ it Laldie.
- Act as an ambassador for Givin it Laldie.
We are particularly interested in hearing from folk who live or work in the Gorbals.
Passion for the work we do and how we do it, an understanding of community-based work and desire to support the needs of the organisation are the most important qualities we are looking for.
We strive for our Board of Trustees to represent the communities we work with as much as possible and therefore encourage applications from many different backgrounds with regards to race, gender, class, sexuality and ability. We have a Board Shadowing Scheme set up for those who are interested but have not sat on a board before.
If you are interested, email the following address with a note of interest explaining why you are interested in the role and what experience you have that would make you a suitable fit. Please provide us with your preferred method of communication and contact details.
Givin.it.laldie<AT>gmail.com (replace <AT> with @
0141 280 0053
You will then be contacted by a member of the Board by email or phone call.
We want to make sure that this opportunity is available to as many people as possible. If you have any specific access needs in regard to this role, please let us know and we will do our best to accommodate this.